Job Description and Selection Criteria
Job Title: Service Manager – Planning & Transport Policy
Team: Planning & Transport Policy
Grade: HAY D
Job Type: Permanent
Responsible to: Deputy Director (Strategy)
Responsible for: Staff within the Planning & Transport team
Budget responsibilities: £4.1m revenue budget
MAIN PURPOSE(S) OF THE JOB:
- To be responsible for strategic policies in respect of the County Council’s infrastructure planning functions, including planning policy, transport planning, property asset management and the natural and historic environment.
- To be responsible for identifying the strategic infrastructure and service requirements necessary to support sustainable economic development and ensuring these shape investment priorities for Oxfordshire.
- To be responsible for working with national agencies and other partners on strategic planning issues.
- The post holder is responsible for ensuring that all relevant County Council policies and procedures are adhered to and concerns are raised in accordance with these policies
- Prepare and gain approval for the annual budget necessary to achieve the agreed programme of work.
- Determine the County Council’s strategic infrastructure requirements and to work with the district and city councils to ensure that these are set out within an agreed infrastructure framework for Oxfordshire
- Work with the district and city councils through the Spatial Planning and Infrastructure Partnership to monitor, and keep under review, implementation of the infrastructure framework for Oxfordshire.
- Establish and develop the Local Transport Board as a means of working with the Local Enterprise Partnership and the Spatial Planning and Infrastructure Partnership to identify strategic investment priorities for transport.
- Secure and maintain the commitment of national agencies and other partners to use the infrastructure framework for Oxfordshire to shape and inform their investment priorities.
- Ensure that implementation of strategic policy frameworks – such as the Local Transport Plan, Asset Transfer Policy, Energy Strategy – is monitored and that the frameworks are regularly reviewed and updated as required.
- Establish and operate an investment fund that provides forward funding for enabling infrastructure.
- Ensure the effective monitoring and management of the Strategic Planning team budget and performance.
- Recruit within establishment, motivate, train and develop within the County Council’s agreed policies and practices to ensure the infrastructure delivery service is capable of meeting its objectives.
- Support the Deputy Director in managing the Strategy function by being part of the Leadership Team.
For Managers - you must ensure you all fully aware of your responsibilities for Health & Safety, and the relevant activities expected of you as a Manager including the need to ensure
- All new employees, that you manage, are fully briefed at induction
- Your team are regularly reminded of key issues and responsibilities
- Your staff are set appropriate targets at appraisals
- Your staff undertake appropriate health and safety training, including refresher training as necessary
- You carry out risk assessments, and implement them, for processes, operations and activities under your control
- Health & Safety is a regular topic at Team Meetings
For all staff - You have specific responsibilities under Health & Safety legislation to ensure that you:
- Take reasonable care for your own health and safety, and that of others affected by what you do, or do not do
- Cooperate on all issues involving health and safety
- Use work items provided for you correctly, in accordance with training and instructions
- Do not interfere with or misuse anything provided for your health, safety or welfare
- Report any health and safety concerns to your line manager as soon as practicable
OXFORDSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL - SELECTION CRITERIA
Educational achievements, qualifications, training and knowledge:
Education to degree level or equivalent
Knowledge and training in project and programme management, budget management and other managerial disciplines.
Good knowledge of methods of performance management and sources of benchmarking information.
Experience of infrastructure planning and delivery, including leading and delivering service change at a high level
Extensive knowledge of funding streams and mechanisms for infrastructure delivery in the public sector and regulated industries
Able to demonstrate the ability to successfully deliver complex and challenging programmes of infrastructure planning related work
Experience of managing budgets of a scale consistent with this role
Working with the political dimension
Creating effective connections and enable working across the boundaries of politics and management
Supporting Deputy Directors with the development of strategy to meet political objectives
Maintaining effective relationships with key stakeholders such as elected members and Government departments
Articulating complex issues to others using different styles of communication
Leading, embedding and sustaining change and supporting the development of the organisation
Maintaining consistency with the organisation’s values whilst developing the culture
Working with uncertainty, ambiguity and the inevitability of change
Leading, developing and empowering staff and managers
Facilitating continuous growth of the team/service
Maintaining self and leading others
Maintaining self awareness, developing personal resilience and self- expression
Willing to operate across the organisation demonstrating flexibility in approach, maintaining a positive attitude
Persuading and convincing others through challenge, negotiation and asserting oneself appropriately.
Identifying own and team development areas; putting actions in place to address these
Developing and enabling effective partnerships and external relationships
Being a champion of the local authority, local government and local democracy
Building effective partnerships with communities and appropriate public and private agencies
Building strong internal partnerships
Maintaining focus on strategic and long-term issues
Scanning the horizon to generate an awareness of potential scenarios
Supporting the development and promotion of, a vision/strategic view for the organisation and local area
Delivering the service’s strategic objectives
Communicating a sense of collective purpose and priority
Leading and integrating performance management with a focus on achieving results
Creating a culture focused on high performance, innovation, engagement and customer service.
Planning and prioritising work, managing multiple tasks in order to produce quality outputs, sustaining continuous improvement across all service areas, turning around areas of under performance.
Demonstrating the achievement of outcomes that reflect customer needs within resources available
Demonstrating an ability to manage risk
A high level of commitment and ability to lead and motivate others to achieve successful outcomes
Good interpersonal skills, ability to exercise and convey personal authority, and prepare clear, well written reports appropriate for the purpose.
Determination to solve problems working with others and to make decisions based on clear analysis and understanding
The ability to demonstrate innovative and creative thinking when solving problems
Ability and willingness to accept responsibility and accountability
Current valid driving licence
Willingness to attend meetings out of normal office hours
A commitment to and understanding of the principles of Equal Opportunities for all in employment and the delivery of services
Educational Achievements, Qualifications, Training and Knowledge:
Knowledge of local authority structures and financing
Experience of local government services
Job related aptitude and skills competencies:
Presentational skills including but not reliant on ICT